Steve Jobs is scheduled to begin his talk today around 1PM eastern. I’m posting highlights and commentary live.
- 65,000,000 accounts with credit cards in iTunes. Holy Cow! That’s a ton of customers. Data fraud scares me but the revenue possibility is awesome.
- iTunes 8 New views, blah.
- Genius. As a devoted Smart Playlist guy, I’m excited to see how it works! If it’s truly anonymous, I’m in. I have a huge list of smart playlists that are intermingled to each other based on last played, artists, ratings, etc. Genius could help me get out of the “ruts”.
- Classic 120GB $249 Cool. Same old same old. I have an old one. It’s utilitarian, not flashy.
- Nano 4G 8GB-$149 16GB-$199.Fatty Nano on a huge diet! Voice recording sounds cool thus far. Handy perhaps. New interface, want to try before I buy, but so far so good. Shake to shuffle. I’m in, thanks Apple for keeping it fun! Video battery life seems weak (4 hours), but 24 hours is fine for music and I can’t imagine watching 4 hours of video on such a small screen! Colors – Silver, purple, blue, green, yellow, orange, red, pink.
- New headphones for $29 in October! C’mon now, have that stuff bundled and ready to ship with the launch!
- New in-ear headphones for $79 sound like Shures with Apple influence… perhaps.
- Touch 8GB – $229. 16GB model – $299. 32GB model – $399. Seems same as 3G iPhone. Nike+ integrated, no dongle needed. I like that, I just don’t do Nike+. Speaker will be minuscule and low quality I’m sure. Shinnier bezel.
- Eh, I think the Apps are OK, NFS is cool, but me paying for apps that I use rarely and only when I’m bored and have nothing else to do doesn’t excite me. I don’t think of the iPod as a gaming platform, more of a utility or productivity booster if anything. Maybe a toy too.
Software for Touch and iPhone:
- 2.1 Software is free on the Touch if you’ve already paid to upgrade to 2.0. If not, $9.95. Ok whatever, gotta pay somewhere.
- 2.1 for iPhone on Friday. Faster backups! Less call drops! Better battery life! Woo hoo!
I think that’s going to be it. If iTunes 8 is cool I’ll let you know. Working on the Nano thing for now.