Steve Jobs is scheduled to begin his talk today around 1PM eastern. I’m posting highlights and commentary live.
- 65,000,000 accounts with credit cards in iTunes. Holy Cow! That’s a ton of customers. Data fraud scares me but the revenue possibility is awesome.
- iTunes 8 New views, blah.
- Genius. As a devoted Smart Playlist guy, I’m excited to see how it works! If it’s truly anonymous, I’m in. I have a huge list of smart playlists that are intermingled to each other based on last played, artists, ratings, etc. Genius could help me get out of the “ruts”.
- Classic 120GB $249 Cool. Same old same old. I have an old one. It’s utilitarian, not flashy.
- Nano 4G 8GB-$149 16GB-$199.Fatty Nano on a huge diet! Voice recording sounds cool thus far. Handy perhaps. New interface, want to try before I buy, but so far so good. Shake to shuffle. I’m in, thanks Apple for keeping it fun! Video battery life seems weak (4 hours), but 24 hours is fine for music and I can’t imagine watching 4 hours of video on such a small screen! Colors – Silver, purple, blue, green, yellow, orange, red, pink.
- New headphones for $29 in October! C’mon now, have that stuff bundled and ready to ship with the launch!
- New in-ear headphones for $79 sound like Shures with Apple influence… perhaps.
- Touch 8GB – $229. 16GB model – $299. 32GB model – $399. Seems same as 3G iPhone. Nike+ integrated, no dongle needed. I like that, I just don’t do Nike+. Speaker will be minuscule and low quality I’m sure. Shinnier bezel.
- Eh, I think the Apps are OK, NFS is cool, but me paying for apps that I use rarely and only when I’m bored and have nothing else to do doesn’t excite me. I don’t think of the iPod as a gaming platform, more of a utility or productivity booster if anything. Maybe a toy too.
Software for Touch and iPhone:
- 2.1 Software is free on the Touch if you’ve already paid to upgrade to 2.0. If not, $9.95. Ok whatever, gotta pay somewhere.
- 2.1 for iPhone on Friday. Faster backups! Less call drops! Better battery life! Woo hoo!
I think that’s going to be it. If iTunes 8 is cool I’ll let you know. Working on the Nano thing for now.
After the game tonight I left my grandparents’ house and headed home as usual. I needed to stop off to get some bleach and laundry soap at Meijer, because it was on sale and I hate going to Walmart on any evening. Nothing unusual yet.
I put my headphones on and turned up the iPhone and headed into the store. A little podcast listening while I walked the store was amazing! I didn’t hear the annoying overhead loud speaker asking so-and-so to call such-and-such. Just my podcasts and a little music. I headed up to check out and took out the earbuds long enough to pay. No one said anything and I didn’t notice any weird looks really.Â After I paid, I drove home to the sounds of the new Starbucks Free iTunes songs. Not bad really.
Once I got home and had everything put away, I cleaned the bathtub quickly with my newly purchased Comet. A little bleach in the toilet and a quick scrub finished off the chores for the evening.
Now it was “my time.” I could do what I normally do and turn on the TV and just sit here numb and watch whatever the Tivo caught over the last few hours or I could do what I’ve been really meaning to do and start reading again. Books. Not blogs, not weird websites, not Wikipedia. Books. With pages. I went through my bookshelf the other day and moved all the books I own but haven’t read to one side of one shelf. There are about 12 that need to be taken care of. Some fiction, mostly non-fiction. I also realized that I ordered 3 books last week that were going to have to be read. I find that I keep buying books and never read them. Gotta change that, I’m going to start reading again. Books. Tonight I read about 50 pages in a book I’ve been working on for months about the origins of Freemasonry. Its dry admittedly, but I started it, made it 100 pages in and now I am going to finish it. I’ll probably try to alternate between fiction and non-fiction, much like I do with Netflix, a documentary, an Office disc, then some random movie, and back around again.
Changing my choices like that keeps it fresh for me. Sometimes I can be analytical considering the consequences of the actual decisions of others, and other times I can let my imagination run wild, thinking of what the characters and scenes actually look like and hearing them saying their lines.
As usual I’m changing things in life for the sake of change mostly. But honestly I haven’t even wanted to turn the TV on tonight and it’s been kind of nice just sitting here in the quiet calm of the late fall evening, just me and my thoughts. Peace, of the mind and of the world, is greatly under appreciated.